Saturday, November 5, 2011

REGIONALS WEEKEND!!!

The weekend of October 28th was jam packed full of exciting things for me! Not only was it Halloween weekends so dressing up and decorating and pre-holiday candy munching, but it was also the weekend Trinity's Alpha Phi Omega chapter hosted the Region VII conference! It was such a fun weekend!

Image found on the official APO website.
The whole event started out on Friday night as we ushered in APO brothers from chapters all over Texas and even a few from Mississippi and Louisiana! We all gathered in Laurie Auditorium and kicked off the conference with the usual introductions and chapter roll calls. After excitement of meeting everyone, everyone in the conference was split up into groups so they could meet people from other chapters on a more personal level and took a guided tour of our campus. This tour involved clues and shared history of APO. I hear the tour was a lot of fun but I wouldn't know, because I was wandering the campus dressed in a cow suit representing our chapter's mascot, Cowchip. I had a blast lurking around corners and hiding in the shadows from the groups that passed by. I'm proud to say that out of 20 groups, only one group spotted (ha cow joke there) me.

Saturday started at the crack of dawn as I was up a 6:30 in the morning setting up for late registration, the all-day service project and the various workshops that would be happening. Along the lines of service projects, I crocheted some caps from premature babies, wrote letters to the troops and painted tiles for the Health Coalition's garden. For the workshops, I attended the discussions on Service projects, Membership and Youth and Scouting service projects. These were all very helpful in preparing me for holding a leadership position in APO (which I hope to do in the next few semesters). My favorite was the Youth and Scouting discussion because I made new contacts in the Alamo Council scouting community which will help our chapter of APO arrange more opportunities to help them out and help APO become even more connected with our scouting roots.
Image found on the official TAMU website.
Overall, the weekend was exhausting but more fun than I've had in a long time and a great time to make new friends. I can barely wait until the Sectionals conference at Texas A&M in the Spring!!!! Gig' em Aggies!!

Websites used for images:
APO- http://www.apo.org/
TAMU- http://www.tamu.edu/

No comments:

Post a Comment