Monday, September 26, 2011

Whats new with the Crew! (and APO)


The start of another school year is always very, very busy. New classes, maybe a new school and the kick-off of everything single thing on this green Earth. Right now the things I'm busy "kicking off" are of course another year in my Venturing Crew back home and a New Active Class in APO! YAY for new people :).

Horse Back Riding at Philmont summer 2010 (c).
One of the most important things to keep any organization running is recruitment! Without new blood and fresh ideas, the great things we love wouldn't stay around for very long.  With the Crew, just last week we had recruitment Ice Cream Social themed meeting. Although I wasn't able to be there, I heard it was a great success. We had three crew members bring friends and all of those friends decided to join! And in the crew, each month has a different activity theme to complete requirements for earning ranks and just for fun. I am the Vice President of Programming for the Crew so I am in the middle of planning our November, which is going to be Horse Back Riding themed. One Saturday we will go out to a local Ranch and have them show us general horse care and then go on a trail ride. Prior to that event, at one of our normal meetings I have asked a local Equestrian Vet to come and talk to us about how to care for, treat and general need-to-know information on such a majestic animal. Planning and organizing all of that is keeping me pretty busy.

Goody Buckets fro my Littles last semester (c).
But back here on campus, we're about to welcome in a New Active Class into APO! I'm busy running around gathering treats for my soon-to-be little and creating clues for them to guess who I am. Big/Little reveal is Thursday night so I've really got to hightail it into gear if I want to be ready for all of those new people! Along with new people joining, I'm trying to strike up a few new regular service projects for our organization to help out with. I've been in contact with the Alamo Council Boy Scouts to try and just be on their books for anytime they need volunteers. That's turning out to be harder than expected, though, because the Scouts are going through recruitment for the next couple of months so everyone is probably too busy to call me back...oh well, fingers crossed. Another project I'm heading up is organizing events with the local San Antonio chapters of the American Legion and the American Legion Auxiliary. Both are veterans or wife of veterans’ organizations so I hope to be able to get a consistent military related project going each month soon.

After writing all that down, I just now realize how busy I really am! So many things that I love and want to be a part of are starting to get busy all at the same time. But I know that while I'm busy and exhausted right now, it'll calm down soon and be worth it all in the end. I <3 APO and Scouting.

Creative Commons License
On My Honor Photos by Hillary is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment